Tutorials

Monday, January 19, 2009

Supporting Local Small Businesses

I love to support the small businesses in my community. I enjoy walking into a store and being greeted with a smile. To me it is the small things in life that are the most important! When I go into a local store I know my business is appreciated. Not that it isn't in the large retail chains, there is just a different sense of appreciation as I wonder through a store that is unique, inviting and warm. Through the years I have come to recognize the importance of spending my money locally.

These merchants spend a lot of time working on building their merchandise assortment, honing their business skills and most importantly developing a strong clientele base.

I am amazed at the amount of niche markets there are out there where the merchandise assortment is so critical to a successful store. I respect the ability to chose the right products to be in a store. The marketplace is constantly changing and keeping a finger on the pulse of the product mix is a daily undertaking!

A small business person is a jack of all trades. I know that sounds funny but it is so true! The sheer magnitude of business skills that are necessary to run a small business is overwhelming! These skills are learned. Yes, some people are blessed with a strong business sense, but for most small business owners there is a lesson learned every day.

The most critical piece of the business is developing a clientele base. This group of loyal customers will not only come back themselves, but refer other people to their business. This is knack. Giving the customer enough space, but also letting them know that they are right there if needed. A wise business person develops clientele through vendor relationships, business to business opportunities, walk in business, and referrals. You never know when a contact will lead to a new client opportunity.

I appreciate all that goes into running a small business. I try to support the businesses in my community that treat me well. When you go shopping today take a moment and stop into one of the shops near your home! You never know what you will find!

1 comment:

Angie's Design Shop said...

Having grown up in a family owned business, I want to thank you for supporting the local small businesses!